Friday 31 July 2009

Serpentine LFotM 5k – Hyde Park – 31/07/09


I guess it will not be that often that you will miss out on a Club Record by 1 second and not be too upset. That’s what happened today and Sir Dave Frampton’s MV45 mark of 17:32 lives to fight another day!

Five go wild in Hyde Park - LR - Stewart Bryant, Martyn Annetts, Karen Dodsworth, Chris Priestley and Statto (and all over 70% age-scores too)

After feeling a bit jaded of late and the fiasco at Milton Keynes HM last weekend, I was in need of a confidence booster and this 5k PB (5s improvement over my April time at same race) and a very close shave with the MV45 5k Club Record were just what the doctor ordered, and all the more so for being unexpected. I wasn’t feeling that great or enthusiastic in the morning and almost turned back home before I’d bought my train ticket - glad I didn’t now.

Like at the FVS 3k Relays, I set off steadily. I continued in this mode for the first 2k before starting to up the effort. The tactic seemed to work, as I spent the last 4k overtaking people and posted a good time. I also forgot to put on my HR monitor and thus purely ‘felt’ the race. That worked out OK too. Having said that, I tend to rely on HR monitoring more for races of 10k and upwards, but a useful experience nonetheless. Interestingly, my 5k PB last November also occurred when my HRM came loose after 1k and I carried it the rest of the way.

So, the my vital statistics for today were;

17:33 (PB)
81.42% age-score
12th overall (217 finishers)
2nd MV45-49
3rd MV40-49.

No comments:

Post a Comment