Thursday 16 July 2009

MWL Mob Match - Trent Park 9k - 15/7/09



Click on image to enlarge

A small, but perfectly formed group of Squirrels made it to the traditional end of Midweek League season 9k bash and awards presentation at Trent Park. A lovely (if hilly) and somewhat off-road course followed by a stupendous post-race nosh-up awaited those who were able to make it.

The race is officially scored (albeit separately) from the main 4-race series, but many runners take the opportunity to take the foot of the gas a little and enjoy the ride. That’s certainly what I did at any rate, aiming to run at half-marathon effort in preparation for the NSPCC Milton Keynes HM on 26th July. I’m pleased to report this worked out well, and over 9k, HM effort is not too stressful.



The weather was mercifully much cooler than the St Albans MWL race, if a little breezy in places. The Trent Park course is certainly undulating, and many of the steepest inclines are on the off-road sections, making things that little harder. As I was not running at full race-effort, I didn’t find this too taxing, but I’m sure a flat-out effort would have had the legs turning to jelly in quite a few places! Post race computation revealed that the Trent Park MWL 9k ranks 2nd in Statto’s road-race hill-ranking table (see table above), so it certainly is a testing course!

In the image above you can see the elevation profile plus my HR profile. Normally, my HR would be averaging around 170 for this kind of race, so here is proof that I was taking it, relatively, easy (honest I was)…

No comments:

Post a Comment