Monday 13 July 2009

Feeling bushed at Bushy 10k - 12/7/09


Bushy 10k, courtesy of Bushfield Joggers, is a fast and flat 10k in Orton Southgate (Peterborough), only in its second year. Parking was ample and close to HQ, the latter being the local sports centre. It's a race of mixed scenic pleasures. The first 3k is mostly industrial estate roads. 3km of residential cycle-ways follow before a pleasant 2k section on a woodland/riverside track. The final 2k is back on cycle-ways.

I only decided to do this Sat pm having been feeling a bit jaded of late, not least due to the recent heat-wave. Normally around this time of year, I put the 10k to bed and leave it slumbering until the autumn. I decided I’d have one more heave at a sub 36m 10k and a shot at the MV45 Club Record. However, the 10k was indeed overdue for its summer slumbers, and running this race turned out to be a 10k bridge too far. I think that’s enough duff metaphors!

I pulled up at just after 5k (just feeling generally pooped and out of sorts). Sibbo's hamstring started complaining at about the same point and he shortly joined me in a minute's rest before persuading me to ‘jog’ the 2nd 5k rather than walk back to the start. There follows a brief summary of my efforts



* 1k at an over-ambitious pace
* 3k regretting the first km
* 1k contemplating stopping
* 1 min standing still and sulking with Sibbo
* 4k at a 'relaxed' pace (but not jogging really)
* 1k speeding up

Had I started slower (the first km was done at an ambitious 35:30 pace vs recent PB of 36:08), things may have worked out very differently, but I have to be honest and say that this was probably an ill-advised expedition. I’d had 4 months of consistently good race-results before the St Albans MWL race. I’ve now had two poor races in a row. I think the technical physiological phrase relevant here is “pushing your luck”! I’m still feeling good in training, so am optimistic that break from racing will see me back on track in the near future. The break will have to be somewhat staggered, due to a planned HM on 26/7…

PS – my official time for the record was 39:11. Not bad in the circumstances and that would have been a PB 14 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment