Thursday 28 May 2009

Welwyn MWL 10k Preview

Here are the vital statistics concerning MWL Race 2. It's another SEAA certificated 10k, which means any World or Club Records set will count.

I have fond memories of this course as it was my first ever run in a Club vest in May 2007. I also beat my PB by about 75s, although I do recall the mighty Sir Dave Frampton storming past me at 8k!

It’s a two lap course run mostly on pavements in a residential area. It scores 11.38 (average metres gained/lost per mile) on my hill-ranking system, placing it 39th out of the 82 listed road-races. Most people consider this to be quite a fast course and I would agree, but it is not flat. For comparison, the NHRR Stevenage MWL 10k scores 15.42 (19th) in the same rankings.





Below is the elevation profile (click to enlarge). The long 'uphill' section is not actually as steep as it looks on this scale - It takes about 2.5km to gain 20m. The only really testing bit is at 3.5km and again around 8km. This is at the point on the loop where you pass near the A1(M). The good news is that it only lasts about 400m.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. Great job Statto. I'm in Welwyn tomorrow with work, so might have a whiz round the course before I head home!

    Tash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one. I've posted a link to this on the my club's Forum.

    Rick,
    Garden City Runners

    ReplyDelete