Monday 13 January 2014

Rotterdam Diary - 13 weeks to go

Revisiting my debut marathon - 4 years on ...

I'll be posting a weekly diary here during my preparation.  I'm on a 15 week training-schedule and am just into D-day minus 13 weeks.  I am feeling good and looking forward to the training challenge.  Broadly, the plan is as follows and is based on my successful preparation for the 2010 race.



  • The 15-week plan commenced with an established long-term base of 40 miles/week
  • At minus 13 weeks, weekly mileage is now at 45
  • Planned peak mileage at race-day minus 3 weeks is 65-70 miles
  • I aim to complete 6 runs of 20+ miles (max 2 hrs 45 mins duration)
  • Regular 2nd long-runs will contain ever increasing chunks (up to 13 miles) at my marathon heart-rate.  These will replace one of the weekly Club sessions.  So far, I've done 5.5 and 6.5-mile marathon-efforts as part of 10 and 13 mile runs.
  • Regular 10k and tempo sessions.  Possibly the odd 5k-pace workout
  • Tune up races (half-marathon 6 weeks out and possibly a 10k)
  • 3 week taper into the race (reducing mileage by to about 75%/60%/40% of peak).  In 2010 this actually worked out at 77%/55%/34%.

No comments:

Post a Comment